We’ve talked about queues, we’ve talked about favorites and today it’s time to talk about the best attractions for attention-grabbing from afar – the one’s with real curb appeal, if you will. With some of the very best rides, it’s all about the lead up!
Some attraction exteriors offer absolutely no clue what to expect (think Soarin’, Country Bears, Space Mountain), but some attractions draw you in from far away – the theme, the park setting – long before you step into the queue, you know you’re about to experience something extraordinary! I’m going to talk about just five today – go ahead and leave a comment if your favorite gets left out – I’ll do a “part 2” in the future!
WDW Attractions – Best Lead Up
- Haunted MansionFrom WAY far away, the draw to Haunted Mansion is incredible! It looks exactly the way you hope it will – Grand yet a bit sinister. You can immediately tell the Mansion holds room after room to explore – haunted corridors, ballrooms, attic and much more! The minute you see it, you know it’s going to be the perfect combination of scary and fun!
- Big Thunder Mountain RailroadThe train flies along the track – you can see the passengers raise their hands, you can hear them screaming in delight, but that’s not the primary draw. In Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland, the whole landscape of Big Thunder that makes you eager to get inside that mountain – so out of place with the surrounding Florida palm trees and lush tropical plants. Big Thunder Mountain is a wasteland of epic proportions and the details are mesmerizing! Best of all, the queue at this mountain is top notch.
- Twilight Zone Tower of TerrorIt looks elegant and disheveled, classic but unique – first impressions are everything here in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Strolling down Sunset Boulevard, you can’t help but notice the tower’s façade and how it stands out. Walk a little farther, and you’ll notice something else – the SCREAMING! The sound will draw your eyes closer to the tower where in an upstairs window, you’ll see motion, but little else. If you’re a thrill ride junkie, this is the ride for you!
- Rock’n’ Roller CoasterThe location actually hurts this attraction because Tower of Terror tends to steal Rock’n’ Roller Coaster’s thunder. You have to turn left at the very end of Sunset Boulevard to even notice the upside down Cadillac let alone the gigantic guitar, but once you see the setting, you know that for music fans and coaster addicts alike will find this the place to be!
- Expedition EverestIn Animal Kingdom, you can be far from Everest and still be drawn in. Call me biased, but there’s a reason this is my favorite ride in all of Walt Disney World and one of the main reasons is that from the moment you see the mountain in the distance, you can’t help but want to be a part of its magic. “Forbidden Mountain” is like a double-dog dare to those of us who love an amazing coaster – every single detail is beyond perfect! Hands down, Expedition Everest has the best draw from afar of any attraction in the World.