As hard as it is to accept (time really does fly when you’re having fun!), 2014 is half-over. Can you believe it? Mid-way through the year is an excellent time to look back at those New Year’s resolutions and give a status report. Maybe you resolved to eat cleaner, lose weight, or exercise more – Me? I resolved to complete a list of Disney-related activities – this way, I’m guaranteed to have fun, eat delicious food, and be greatly amused all while feeling good about actually sticking to my resolutions! See how that works? No dieting or exercise required and I feel happy and productive!
So – Let’s look at the old January 1st list and see what’s been accomplished thus far….
1. See These Movies:
- Muppets Most Wanted (3/21/14) – Been a huge fan my whole life – this is a can’t-be-missed movie for me! The unresolved romance between Kermit and Piggy keeps me coming back for more. Complete! Read the movie review here.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4/4/14) – I’m diggin’ all the Marvel movies and I think the Cap’s aces. Enjoyed it! Read about it here.
- Million Dollar Arm (5/16/14) – I am just a girl who cannot resist a good baseball movie. Unexpectedly delightful and the review is here.
- Maleficent (5/30/14) – Looks darkly intriguing – I think we will love to hate her! Oh, Yeah! I was entertained by this new twist on an old favorite and shared my thoughts here.
- Into the Woods (12/25/14) – Have heard so much about this show – can’t wait to see it! Still on the to-see list!
2. Book a Cruise – I’ve got a place-holder (aka “dummy”) cruise burning a hole in my pocket. Since August when we re-booked onboard (while sailing on the Magic in the Mediterranean) – We are anxiously waiting to see what the rest of 2015’s sailings look like before making a final decision. Wishing for Baltic (tie in to Frozen). As of right now, we are set to sail the Fjords of Norway on the Disney Magic next summer.
4. Buy a Fancy New Earhat – sounds easy enough, but I have the most difficult time deciding on one – I always walk away with a Disney baseball cap instead. Not this year. No, sir. After much trial and error, the winning (dare I say PERFECT) hat was located and purchased just a few weeks back.
5. Eat This Food – I’m up for passing up old favorites and trying out some new places in 2014. I’m thinking about these:
- Be Our Guest – I know, right? Everyone’s clamoring to get in there – I’ll be lucky to score a visit, but I’ve heard so much great stuff about it. I’m at least resolving to try my best to get in! Scored dinner ADRs for October.
- Flying Fish – I’ve never eaten here. Chime in if you think I should ditch this plan in favor of something else. Can’t believe it took so long to discover the incredible food and service! Yum! Read all about it here.
- 1900 Park Fare – For a character meal it has always been Chef Mickey’s but now that we have “adult” children, I thought Lady Tremaine and the Steps might be a bunch of fun. And fun it was! We were not disappointed by the food or the company – see what happened here.
- Hollywood Brown Derby – We have never eaten here and have always heard great things. Even if we just sit in the new outdoor patio lounge – I’d like to give it a go. We went and now we know – it’s got great atmosphere, good food, and abysmal service. Sigh.
6. Find and Trade a Pin to Complete This Set! I love pin trading and in 2014 I’m gonna be in-it-to-win-it! Yeah, Baby! Watch out flying Orange Bird – you are mine! A bird in the hand…makes me happy!!! My collection’s complete.
7. Ride the Seven Dwarfs’ Mine Train – Ugh. Feels like the Fantasyland expansion has been going on forever! I am riding this ride, dadgummit – get out of my way. It was cute, it was fun, and it was discussed completely right here, YouTube video here.
- Maui Scalloped Potatoes – used to be my favorite thing at ‘Ohana – gone, but not forgotten. Hands down the BEST Disney recipe I’ve ever cooked – tastes so nice, I made it twice and you can follow along with that culinary success story right here.
- Gnocchi with Spinach and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce from Tutto Italia – Still on the to-cook list.
- Beef Short Ribs from Chefs de France – Waiting for cooler weather for this one.
9. Try a Dole Whip: They say confession is good for the soul – so now you know my darkest Disney Secret (one of them anyway)…I hid it way down here at #9 so maybe no one will notice. I have never eaten a single bite of Dole Whip in my life. Don’t judge me. I did it! I tried a Dole Whip and…..watch the video here.
10. Take Better Disney Pictures! To my shame, my Disney pictures are mediocre at best. The great computer crash of 2009 cost me dearly and I just need to learn to be a better photographer overall. I buy really small cameras because they’re easy to carry. I’m not sure if I’ll actually dish out more cash on yet another camera, but I’ll do what I can to make the most of what I’ve got. Promise. Three cameras, my iPhone, and a new GoPro video rig allowed me to capture all the magic in a big way in May and I cannot WAIT to go crazy with the pics again in October.
So, there you have it – the mid-year status report! Did you have any Disney resolutions on your list? How’s it going for YOU?
Wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Pixie-Dusted Rest-of-the-Year….Lisa